Pages

Old Time Custard Pie

Ruth Martinson, Houston, TX, shares the perfect pie for custard lovers. Bet that's lots of you, including me.
Serves 8

1 Pilsburry refrigerated unbaked 9-inch piecrust
4 eggs, slightly beaten, or equivalent in egg substitute
1/2 cup pourable Splenda
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/3 cup Carnation Nonfat Dry Milk Powder
2 cups hot water
Dash ground nutmeg

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Place piecrust in a 9-inch pie plate and flute edges. In a large bowl, combine eggs, Splenda, and vanilla extract. In a medium bowl, combine dry milk powder and hot water. Gradually add milk mixture to egg mixture. Pour filling mixture into prepared piecrust. Lightly sprinkle nutmeg over top. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until knife inserted near center comes out clean. Place pie plate on a wire rack and let set for 15 minutes. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Cut into 8 servings.

Each serving equals:
HE: 1/2 Skim Milk, 1/2 Bread, 1/2 Protein (limited), 1/2 Slider, 16 Optional Calories
*************************************************************
198 Calories, 10gm Fat, 8gm Protein, 19gm Carbohydrate,
194mg Sodium, 151mg Calcium, 0gm Fiber
*************************************************************
DIABETIC: 1 Starch, 1 Fat, 1/2 Skim Milk, 1/2 Protein

"Healthy Exchanges Food Newsletter November 1998, pg. 5."

3 comments:

  1. This is so much like my grandma's custard pie, and even Furr's restaurant's custard pie. I just have to make this every fall and winter.

    I nearly lived on it with out the crust when I was pregnant with Lela. It was the only thing I could stomach, and thankfully with all those eggs in it, it was full of protein and very healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never had a custard pie-but I can have everything in this except the crust and I can make it myself.
    I get lots of eggs from a mini farm my Son works on. I trade canning relish for the eggs in the winter.
    Since I have never made a custard pie-does it matter if you use some egg whites like 2 eggs and 3 whites (large eggs)??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry that I just NOW seen this, after YEARS. But, I don't think it will really matter. I would experiment and see. It's hard to go wrong with this one though.

      Delete